Photo Credit: Stocksnap.
When writing gives me lemons; painful episodes of writer’s block, dull characters, sagging plots, confidence issues, negative feedback and a head full of creative demons – I make lemonade!
I have made so much lemonade recently with my writing lemons that I am actually getting quite good at it.
Here is how I make lemonade when writing gives me a bitter taste of lemon:
- Yoga. I swear Yoga is magical. It seems to realign the cogs in my head. After 15 minutes of some Downward Facing Dog, High Planks, Low Planks and Warrior Poses I feel a lot better and I get a boost of positivity.
- Meditation. This clever exercise clears the mind. It calms me down and gives me focus. I wish I had discovered this last year when writing gave me some serious lemons.
- Gratitude. I practice writing gratitude. I think about all the things I am grateful for in my creative life; my wonderful writing friends, my characters who make me smile on a daily basis, my stories, my blog, all my fabulous followers, my podcast and the decision I made when I turned 40 to follow my writing dream.
- Fresh Air. So simple and so effective.
- Creative Podcasts. At the moment my go-to podcast is Elizabeth Gilbert’s Magic Lessons podcast. Listening to her give advice to other writers is really therapeutic and interesting. She also has a really soothing and calming voice! I also have a huge author crush going on – sigh!
- Trust Emergence. This is something I have learnt from Sacha Black. When you are stuck on something or facing what seems an insurmountable problem – have patience, stop sweating about it, do something else and have faith in emergence. Your mind will work it out. It may take a few days or even weeks but if you really trust your creative mind the answer will emerge. This works!
- Tweet your issue and add a comedy GIF. I find the eye roll GIFS are the best and always make me feel better.
- Get some perspective. No one is going to die from my sagging plot and lifeless characters.
- Enjoy the struggle. I accept that when my writing challenges me, I grow as a writer. So I might as well enjoy the pain!
Turn those writing lemons into lemonade!
Stay strong – we are all doing a great job 🙂